error: no such disk

From: Chris Fisichella
Subject: error: no such disk
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 04:49:18 +0000

Hi,

I went through the archives and tried to apply the commands contained there in. I still can't get grub to hand off the computer to Debian 7.8.0.

The install is "all files in one partition" Indeed, when I boot using the DVD 1 "rescue mode," I can get the software to open a shell for me on /dev/sda1, I can "ls" and see the file system. The grub config file is located at

/boot/grub/grub.cfg

I looked at /boot/grub/device.map and saw the (hd0) mapping looked funny, so I tried changing it to /dev/sda1, but it still will not pass off the images.

I saw you can get to a grub prompt. I don't know how to do that with my setup. The machine just starts and after a few seconds, I get this:

Grub Loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: no such disk
Entering rescue mode