Re: Grub2 install with / on lvm

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub2 install with / on lvm
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 18:29:24 +0300

В Wed, 4 Feb 2015 13:57:59 -0800 (PST)
address@hidden пишет:

> Greetings -
>
> I have been experimenting with an Linux Mint 17 installation for my desktop
> system.  This is on a new Dell Precision 3610.  After having difficulties
> getting the Mint installation to complete (grub2 install failed) with
> software RAID (and trying the Intel IMSM fake raid) I finally purchased a
> good hardware raid card and installed it in my system (LSI MegaRAID SAS
> 9271-8i).  Now Mint installs without grub2 install failing during the
> installation; however, at first boot I get sent to a grub prompt.  After
> playing around with the SuperGrub2 Disk I think I have isolated the problem.
> Here is a description of my system and what I have found.
>
> 1.  RAID 1 of two 3-TB drives (entire drives, not partitions)
> 2.  Single drive recognized by BIOS and Mint installer as /dev/sda
> 3.  Created partitions and lvm logical volumes in GParted and command line
> prior to install
>      /dev/sda1   500MB   /boot/efi   fat32
>      /dev/sda2   500MB   /boot   fat32

symbolic links are commonly used in /boot so fat32 is probably not the
best idea.

>      /dev/sda3   volume group vg_jab  (left 100MB unallocated at end)
>         lv_mintroot   8GB   /
>         lv_mintvar   4GB   /var
>         lv_mintswap   2GB   [swap]
>         lv_minthome   80GB   /home
>         lv_mintgis   1000GB   /gis
> 4.  I will be installing Windows 7 as a VM (using KVM) later in an additional
> lv.
> 5.  Interestingly df-h does not show /dev/sda2, and ldblk does not show a
> mount point for /dev/sda2
> 6.  Grub settings point to hd0, gpt1.  In grub I see a message of failure
> reading sector ???? from hd1

You said you have single disk, so there is no surprised grub cannot
read from hd1 - it should not exist. Where it comes from in grub
configuration?

> In SuperGrub2 Disk a linux boot image is not present when selecting
> Everything.  If I select Everything+ a boot image appears.  Individually
> going through the options in Extra Grub2 functionality, I get a linux boot
> image to appear if all I do is enable grub2's LVM support.  I booted from
> this installed image and tried running grub-install.  A reboot after that did
> not resolve the issue.  It appears that my grub installation does not have
> the support for lvm, and it appears that my root partition being on lvm is
> likely the problem, as somewhere along this path I saw grub referencing the
> UUID that is my lv_mintroot.

You do not say how you install bootloader. If you are using
distribution specific scripts you may have better luck on corresponding
list.

In general "grub-install /dev/sda" should figure out what drivers are
needed to access /boot/grub and include them in image. If /boot/grub is
on LVM, grub should include drivers for it in image. It is impossible
to say what is wrong without knowing exact procedure how grub was
installed.