Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Example for grub-mkimage & grub-setup
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:39:39 +0300

В Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:38:04 +0100
Truth <address@hidden> пишет:

> >> I was able to solve the above mentioned problem by starting from scratch
> >> but
> >> I still would like to understand (in more detail) how grub is working. For
> >> that reason I was asking for an example on how to build grub with
> >> grub-mkimage and grub-setup only.
> Does anyone have an example on how to use /grub-mkimage/ and
> /grub-setup/ directly ( ... without using grub-install) ?

grub-mkimage is absolutely dumb. It takes files provided as arguments
and packs them into executable. That's all.

grub-bios-setup is also dumb - it takes file (I'm not sure whether it
even checks if file is proper core.img) and writes it to disk, keeping
track of disk location(s). It has some intelligence to find out starting
sector and arrange for bootblock to jump to this starting sector but
that's basically all.

If you want to see how they are used together, you could either look at
trace output in older grub-install or run modern grub-install --debug
and look at pseudo-calls to grub-mkimage/grub-bios-setup it outputs.