Re: help needed to boot up my system back to UNIX

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: help needed to boot up my system back to UNIX
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 14:28:46 -0800

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Babang Putra Parhusip
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear  Sir/Mdm,
> I have a HDD with dual boot capability, Windows and Centos 6.
>
> All the while it was set up to automatically booting to Centos as my
> development always in UNIX environment. But then someone did something to it
> that now it automatically boot to Windows.
>
> Does it mean that my GRUB was corrupted/deleted? I am now desperate to
> recover all my development data in that UNIX system.
>

> Could you please help me? I would appreciate it very much
>
> Regards,
> Babang

This list is for help with grub2, and CENTOS 6 uses grub legacy
(RHEL/CENTOS switched to grub2 with version 7). We can help you
install grub2 on CENTOS 6 if you want, or you can look for support for
re-installing CENTOS 6's grub legacy from one of the CENTOS support
venues.

For quickly getting booted back into your CENTOS 6 system you can use
Super GRUB2 Disk: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/ .
SG2D's option to use CENTOS's menu.lst will probably work best. You
can of course also access all of the data stored on your CENTOS
partition using any GNU/Linux LiveCD/USB. That is all assuming that
the only problem was Windows overwriting grub's boot sector. If your
CENTOS partitions have been overwritten as well for some reason, then
your recovery options are much less simple and assured.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)