Re: Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib

From: Simon Hobson
Subject: Re: Disabling UUID in grub-mkconfig_lib
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 21:09:44 +0100

Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> wrote:

> What exactly do you mean under "identify drives"? If you mean kernel
> root=XXX parameter, just add (or change)
>
> GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true
>
> in /etc/default/grub. Your distribution may offer some GUI to edit this
> file.

At least in Debian, this only results in reverting to the old "sdxn" format
(with the potential problems that UUIDs were intended to deal with - it doesn't
support "LABEL=root".

Personally, while I see the point, I find UUIDs a bit of a PITA when
migrating/upgrading stuff. Labelling the partitions is a lot easier than
writing out the UUID and entering it into a system that's being
upgraded/migrated. Or trying to remember what partitions you're going to end up
with - yes I've had issues when moving VMs where I've got my xvdXn's mixed up !