Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?

From: SevenBits
Subject: Re: Possible to Embed GRUB Font File into Binary?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 18:35:39 -0400

On May 18, 2014, at 6:30 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM, SevenBits <address@hidden> wrote:
On May 18, 2014, at 3:45 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:

I should have caught this earlier, before I replied off list as well,
but your first reply to me was not CCd to help-grub. Please keep all
messages CCd to help-grub so that others can benefit from the
discussion (and don't see odd gaps from missing off-list context).

My apologies. Thunderbird told me it was sending to this list. :(

Now, in regards to my question, here's what I'm using now (I only
need a few modules, *not* all of them, so the list is rather short):

grub-mkimage -d . --format x86_64-efi --config
'/home/user/Desktop/grub.cfg' -o ~/Desktop/boot.efi boot linux ext2
normal configfile lspci ls loadenv help echo fat exfat hfs hfsplus
part_msdos part_gpt part_apple multiboot multiboot2 terminal sleep
loopback normal fixvideo iso9660 loadbios setvariable applesetos

A couple of those are custom modules that I've patched in, but that
shouldn't really affect too much in the way of making the image.

I've looked at the grub-mkstandalone man page, and it is rather
sparse; it doesn't really even include examples of how to do things
like embedding a font file, or even including files. Could you advise
on how to properly invoke the command so that I can get a similar
result to the one above, but with an embedded font file?

grub-mkstandalone -o ~/Desktop/boot.efi --format=x86_64-efi
--install-modules="boot linux ext2 normal configfile lspci ls loadenv
help echo fat exfat hfs hfsplus part_msdos part_gpt part_apple
multiboot multiboot2 terminal sleep loopback normal fixvideo iso9660
loadbios setvariable applesetos"
/boot/grub/fonts/myfont.pf2=/path/to/myfont.pf2
/boot/grub/grub.cfg='/home/user/Desktop/grub.cfg'

The graft point syntax is
/desired/path/within/memdisk=/path/in/current/execution/environment .

Thank you, I will try this out.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)