Re: Partition labels in GRUB2 menu?

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: Partition labels in GRUB2 menu?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 08:10:11 -0500

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:42:13 -0500
Richard Owlett <address@hidden> пишет:

During Debian installs I use manual partitioning.
I give the partition being created a meaningful label.
I would like that label to appear in Grub's menu.
How?

E.G.
I currently have 4 flavors of Debian Wheezy installed (different
desktops).
Currently the menu shows long effectively meaningless string
followed by "cryptic" partition designator (sa6, sa7, sa8, or
sa9). I would like the designator to be meaningful (i.e. GNOME,
KDE, LXDE, or XFCE).

You can simply edit grub.cfg.

That is what I do and wish to avoid.

If you want grub.cfg to be generated
automatically, you can modify files under /etc/grub.d and make them do
whatever you want.

That sounds nice. BUT where/how to retrieve relevant partition label?