Re: GRUB2 & Booting from ISO on LVM

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: GRUB2 & Booting from ISO on LVM
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:05:07 +0400

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Jorge Fábregas
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Fedora 20 here.  I'm using GRUB2 to boot an ISO stored on one of my
> ext4 partitions. This works perfectly fine.  However, I can't make it work
> from an ext4 over LVM.  GRUB2 boots the ISO but something is wrong
> with the "findiso" kernel parameter.  When the CD boots I get a bunch of:
>
> modprobe: module LVM2_member not found in modules.dep
> modprobe: module swap not found in modules.dep

This has nothing to do with grub. Your initrd must expect and support
access to LVM. It should include necesssary kernel modules, LVM user
space components as well as scripts to activate LVs.

You need to ask on Fedora list whether they support it and if yes, how
to activate this feature.