Is there a way to suppress error message from probe command?

From: Loving, Kent
Subject: Is there a way to suppress error message from probe command?
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:34:43 +0000

In grub.cfg, I'm using the probe command to detect the presence of a second
drive. I need that info to set some parameters that are used later in the menu.
This code works:

probe --set=junk -p (hd1)
proberet=$?
#is there a 2nd drive?
if [ $proberet == 0 ] ; then
# there are two or more
else
# only is only one
fi

Unfortunately, if there is only one drive, there is a flash of an error message
"error: couldn't open device" just before the menu is displayed. Can that be
suppressed?

Jordan Uggla said "There is an ugly hack that can be used to do this" in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2012-02/msg00020.html. I guess I
would like to know what that hack is.

Kent Loving
425-315-3043