Re: ext2 and highlight_color ??

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: ext2 and highlight_color ??
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:10:00 -0700

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Don Lindsay
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I tried to upgrade a Fedora 18 box following the instructions at
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/ch18s02.html
>
> Everything was normal (and the box could boot) until I ran
>     sudo grub2-install /dev/sda1

grub's boot sector should always be installed to the MBR, since that's
what your BIOS loads (BIOSs know nothing about partitions), and
because installing to the MBR allows grub to use a reliable embedding
area (which is not available when installing grub's boot sector to a
partition containing an extN filesystem, which is what grub-install's
warning was about). If you properly install grub with "grub-install
/dev/sda" then it should fix everything. Since you can't boot your
system normally you'll either need to boot your Fedora install via
some other media (like Super GRUB2 Disk) or install grub from a Fedora
LiveCD/USB. If you do the latter you need to know that grub-install
requires that the filesystem containing /boot/ be mounted, and if the
boot directory is not to be found at "/boot/" then you need to specify
the path to the /boot/ directory using the --boot-directory= option.
So assuming that you have a separate /boot/ partition (which is the
default for Fedora installations), and that /boot/ partition is
/dev/sda1, from a LiveCD/USB you could run "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/ &&
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda". You could also chroot
into your installed Fedora system and run simply "grub-install
/dev/sda" from within the chroot.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)