Re: grub freezes at "grub loading."

From: Jad
Subject: Re: grub freezes at "grub loading."
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:08:04 +0200

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's not advised to combine CSM-BIOS and SSDs, it significantly limits their
> performance. You'd need to boot a live CD in legacy and EFI modes, and
> compare dmesg to see the consequences of either choice on your particular
> hardware. But so far I've yet to see a CSM not put AHCI in IDE mode, rather
> than fully native AHCI mode. And that limits performance. Further, ACPI is
> typically limited as well, that will inhibit battery life on a laptop.

I understand completely, but I have to make a choice between the SSD's
performance and my graphics card, and in this particular instance, I
would rather loose the SSD's performance rather than not being able to
use my NVIDIA.

> Honestly, there's no guarantee this is true if you're using memtest86+ 4.20
> in CSM-BIOS mode. It should work, but there can be bugs that cause false
> positives.
>
> I'd try it with memtest86+ 5.00 beta6, and also check their forums to see
> about others using legacy mode for doing memory tests on EFI hardware.

Thank you for the pointer, it would never have occurred to me that
this would be possible. I was already looking for good ram deals.

> The manufacturers should supply, or fund OSS, to produce a native UEFI
> application memory tester. They're the ones going down the UEFI road, they
> need to provide the proper tools.

Totally agreed. The whole UEFI implementation anyway feels like a
hastily patched together thing, if not on paper, at least in its
current implementation (afaic). While we get somewhere stable, we
should have some sort of knowledge base for people like me, noobs or
semi-techies, who need to understand how to boot their OS.
I am willing to provide hosting and domain name, and set up a wiki,
but I can't manage nor build a community (I just know no one
knowledgeable, and I am not knowledgeable myself). If anyone's
interested, ping me.