Re: Grub rescue

From: David WE Roberts
Subject: Re: Grub rescue
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:58:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:14:48 +0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

> Should grub rescue started from an MBR disc be able to see GPT
> partitions?

More detail now I think I have my posting sorted out :-)

What I have:

/dev/sda 64GB MBR SSD with Windows 7 64 bit, and GRUB2 as boot loader.
/dev/sdb 750GB MBR HDD with Ubuntu installed - GRUB2 chain loads from /dev/
sda. /boot/grub is on this drive.

What I want to have

/dev/sda 64GB MBR SSD with Windows 7 64 bit, and GRUB2 as boot loader.
/dev/sdb 3.0TB GPT HDD with Ubuntu installed - GRUB2 chain loads from /dev/
sda. /boot/grub is on this drive.

What I have done so far:
[various mis-steps left out]
Set up the 3TB HDD in Windows 7 as GPT.
Created the ext2 and swap partitions on the 3TB drive using gparted
Copied the partitions from the 750GB drive to the 3TB drive.
Unplugged the 750GB drive.

When I boot, I get (no surprise) the grub rescue prompt.

However when I search for partitions to boot from I can only see the MBR
disc.
I cannot see any partitions on the GPT disc.

I can see in grub.cfg (from /dev/sdb)

insmod part_msdos
insmod part_ext2
set root=(`hd1,msdos1)`

which I think may mean that grub is only looking for MBR drives but I'm
still getting into all this.

My main problem is that I would expect grub rescue to list all the
partitions it could see (at least all the partitions with an OS installed)
so I could then select the correct partition and boot up into Linux, then
run grub-update (and possibly `grub-install /dev/sda`) to get the new
drive properly identified.

So can someone please tell me if what I am doing is not catered for, or
which simple step I've missed out.

Thanks

David