Missing menu display

From: Peter Hillier-Brook
Subject: Missing menu display
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 17:02:28 +0000

Could someone please advise how I might achieve a menu display on my new Siemens (sorry, Fujitsu) Lifebook. grub.cfg appears to be sound and I do hear the GRUB_INIT_TUNE, proving that my modified /etc/default/grub is being used by update-grub.

Screen resolution is 1366x768, but I've set GRUB_GFXMODE to auto as I'm not convinced that 1366x768 would work. I should also mention that the system is using an EFI with which I'm not totally familiar and which I guess is at the root of the problem. Where might I find a handbook on EFI in relation to GRUB so that RTFM would have some meaning?

Thanks in advance.

Peter HB