Re: Grub2 almost does what I want

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: Grub2 almost does what I want
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 14:18:03 -0600

Chris Murphy wrote:

On Feb 2, 2013, at 7:47 AM, Richard Owlett <address@hidden> wrote:

[Grub menu identifies itself as version 1.98+20100804+squeeze1]

I think you need to use a newer version of GRUB2 first off. This is a
prerelease version and is quite old.

Using a newer version would be nice ---- BUT <grin>
I'm installing from the Debian Squeeze 8 DVD set because I do not have high speed internet available. Also it appears that Grub 2 is available only as source. I've not attempted compile link load ... for over 30 years.

Do I have any options except following full manual edit of grub.cfg?
[my reading of http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html suggests I
don't.]

Directly editing the grub.cg isn't advised,

That was apparent from the abundant number of warnings on the issue.

> it's better to make the changes in /etc/default/grub and then running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg which reads the > /etc/default/grub configuration, and produces a new grub.cfg from scratch.

So no semi-automatic tools to do what I specified :<

Thanks

Also note that documentation applies to GRUB 2.00. There are many, many changes
from 1.98 to 2.00.

Chris Murphy