Installing grub onto USB-FDD

From: Rajasekhar Pulluru
Subject: Installing grub onto USB-FDD
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:51:05 +0530

Dear All,

Need some help on installing grub 1.99 onto USB stick;

1) I need to install grub onto a USB stick that's detected as a floppy in BIOS.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-using-grub_002dinstall.html
listed below steps to install grub onto USB-FDD disk:

     # losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/sdb1
     # mount /dev/loop0 /mnt/usb
     # grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/usb/bugbios --force
--allow-floppy /dev/loop0

I am trying to install from netbsd machine. I couldn't find losetup
utility in netbsd.
Is there any other method by which I could install grub onto USB from netbsd.

2) I have a different machine on which USB stick is getting detected
as Mass Storage device.
And I tried to install grub using below steps:

1) fdisk sd0 (created partition 0 and made it active)
2) disklabel sd0 (created partition sd0a)
3) newfs_msdos /dev/rsd0a
4) mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
5) grub-install --no-floppy --boot-directory=/mnt --force /dev/rsd0a

But when I tried to select USB as first boot device in BIOS, I get
blank screen and I don't see grub prompt.
What could be the issue?

And I also get below errors when I don't use --force option in grub-install:
grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk
or to a partition.  This is a BAD idea..
grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be
installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are
UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
What does the above errors indicate?

Appreciate any pointers/help.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajasekhar