Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8

From: Joan Jerez
Subject: Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:51:05 +0100

In the followup message you said you cannot interrupt booting into
Windows. Here you say "change booting method to Legacy" which implies
you *can* interrupt booting and go into firmware setup. Could you
clarify?
No, I need to shut down computer to access firmware setup, then I press an alternate button that powers up computer and goes directly to firmware setup.

Anyway, I solved the issue experimenting, finally :)
But I learned from this messages how UEFI works.

EFI partition is /dev/sda3 actually... (/dev/sda1 is for recovery purposes, and it doesn't have boot flag) so I copied GRUB EFI application and I replaced EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi and EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi... before, I moved EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to /EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi, and I updated Windows grub entry to reflect changes.

Now, I can dualboot without problems. Experimenting with efibootmgr didn't work, firmware misses boot order (maybe is what happened to me) -ubuntu /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi was configured to be first- and it doesn't remember what boot entries are active or deactivated (upon reboot).

Al 14/01/13 03:33, En/na Andrey Borzenkov ha escrit:
В Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:24:44 +0100