Re: recovering win7

From: squareyes
Subject: Re: recovering win7
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:11:25 +1030

On 13/01/13 16:12, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Sat, 12 Jan 2013 23:47:51 -0500

On 2013-01-12 20:51 (GMT-0700) Chris Murphy composed:

squareyes wrote:
address@hidden:~# dd if=/usr//share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
dd: opening `/usr//share/syslinux/mbr.bin': No such file or directory
If ...usr//share... is the way it was typed it couldn't be expected to work.

Why? Multiple slashes are treated as single slash and have always been.

Hi ,
It's in  /usr/lib

I ran ,  dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
and ran the recovery dvd's again, no longer has a grub error, now
has a drive error. I ticked the drive as bootable with gparted previously.
dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb

I have been at this for nearly 2 full days now, shutting down, shifting monitor, booting live ubuntu dvds, re running the recovery dvd's which take around an hour to go through, shutting down and returning monitor to this machine etc etc and have now re-installed ubuntu 12.04 works fine, which I am
going to present to her and try to help her to use ubuntu.
Her other alternative is to find some one with considerably more patience than I have, will give her the recovery dvd's:-)

Many thanks for everyone's help, very much appreciated.
Take care
Winton