Re: recovering win7

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: recovering win7
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 20:51:57 -0700

On Jan 12, 2013, at 8:39 PM, squareyes <address@hidden> wrote:

address@hidden:~# dd if=/usr//share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb

dd: opening `/usr//share/syslinux/mbr.bin': No such file or directory

Not sure what I am doing , looked for syslinux and showed below, nothing to lose will try them in the line of code,

address@hidden:~$ whereis syslinux
syslinux: /usr/bin/syslinux /usr/lib/syslinux /usr/bin/X11/syslinux /usr/share/man/man1/syslinux.1.gz

find / -name mbr.bin 2>/dev/null

I can't tell you where it is or if it's even included with Ubuntu. It is included with Fedora which is the basis of the command I cam up with.

Is there anyway that I can format the drive to get rid of any residual grub?

No. Reformatting applies to contents of partitions. This code is not contained within a partition. And it must be replaced, not just removed, in order for the computer to be rebootable.

Chris Murphy