Re: recovering win7

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: recovering win7
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:31:21 -0500

On 2013-01-12 19:17 (GMT+1030) squareyes composed:

> Hi, I have a laptop that I had win7 (came with it) and Ubuntu.

> The monitor has been damaged but still works with an external monitor. I
> have deleted partitions formatted them after deleting partitions and
> created a single new partition, and used the recovery disks (5 dvd's), I
> elected to re-install everything, thought that format the drive, but after
> re-starting I get a screen with

> error:no such partition.
>  grub rescue>

"Everything" did not get restored. Ubuntu installation replaced the boot code
in the very first sector on the disk, but your "re-installation" failed to
undo that.

There are a whole bunch of ways to replace that Grub code with the standard
PC BIOS boot code that was originally there (or its functional equivalent):

1-FDISK /MBR from a DOS or Win9x boot from CD or floppy (potentially the
fastest method)
2-repair, from Windows installation media
3-installing standard MBR code from a Linux live media boot
4-any of several utilities on the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ bootable CD
5-newmbr command while running DFSee (www.dfsee.com)
6-others

Replacing the code itself may not alone be sufficient. The Windows boot
partition needs to be set startable/bootable/active if it doesn't remain so.
Any of the above solutions are capable of doing that as well. It amounts to
changing 1 or 2 bits near the end on that same first sector.

see also: http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/install-doz-after.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/