Re: How to build grub.efi out of Grub Legacy code?

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: How to build grub.efi out of Grub Legacy code?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:04:10 -0700

On Jan 10, 2013, at 10:21 AM, "Zhan, Beilei" <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
I would use 2.0 if it provides stable EFI boot. Unfortunately it doesn’t work well with the kernel I am using.
Is there any requirement for the kernel (like version or certain patch) to boot with Grub2 EFI?

Thanks,
Betty

The kernel has several CONFIG_EFI_ options, and at least CONFIG_EFI and CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION would need to be enabled.

You may find it easier with more recent kernels, I think 3.2 or newer, to use CONFIG_EFI_STUB, and a boot manager like gummiboot or rEFInd. Both of those boot managers are capable of using the linux kernel's own built-in EFI boot loader to boot itself. Obviously it depends on your application. But consider GRUB Legacy is not maintained, I don't think GRUB legacy is a good choice.

There are some Red Hat unique patches on top of GRUB2 2.00 related to EFI that they are using in Fedora 18. There unique commands linuxefi and initrdefi are used to load the kernel and initrd on UEFI computers. I'm not sure what those are doing that upstream GRUB linux and initrd commands are not.

Chris Murphy