Re: Default Grub legacy menu.lst to Grub2 grub.cfg

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: Default Grub legacy menu.lst to Grub2 grub.cfg
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 11:20:07 -0700

On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:26 AM, Tom Oakes <address@hidden> wrote:

> My Disk does have a MBR with Grub 1.98 installed to access the /boot/grub
> directory of the ubuntu system installed in /dev/sdb5, which is in the
> extended partition /dev/sdb3. The ubuntu boots with no problem from the
> installed Grub2 system.

GRUB 1.98 is positively ancient, it's almost three years old. And that was a
development version for GRUB2. The final stable shipping release is 2.00. You
really do need to upgrade, there have been many, many changes. I suggest
building it from source, or maybe finding a newer version from Ubuntu's
repositories. They should have one by now.

> I have two basic questions:
> 1. Is correct that it necessary for the Grub2 MBR to be access Grub files
> installed in a separate partition in order for it to boot freeBSD?

No.

> 2. If it is necessary, can it be a partition in an extended partition?

No, because extended partitions mean you're using MBR. And for MBR there is no
such thing as a partition for GRUB. That's only for GPT. If you're using MBR,
then GRUB belongs in the MBR gap between LBA 0 and LBA 2048.

> A third question is what code needs to be in grub.cfg for booting the freeBSD?

The current 2.00 shipping version of GRUB's grub-mkconfig should produce the
correct menu entry.

Chris Murphy