Re: Re: usb disk on pcmcia2usb

From: jk
Subject: Re: Re: usb disk on pcmcia2usb
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:44:40 +0200

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:06 AM, jk <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem, I have a laptop in the disk controller unstable so I
> put the disk in a usb external usb 1.1 but has only very slowly, I
added
> a pcmcia card with usb 2.0, the problem is here:
> the laptop does not detect it on a flash I copied a bit 'folder of the
> disc and I manually installed grub in the grub configuration file I
put

> linux (hd0, 1) / boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root = / dev/sdb1
> initrd (hd0, 1) / boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
>
> but not the linux and I am in the grub shell, I also edit fstab?

It looks like you've used an automatic translation program to
translate your message into English. I cannot understand what you're
asking, and it also appears to have added extra spaces to your code
for the grub.cfg. If the only other option is to use an automatic
translator, it's better to just send a message in your native language
and let us translate it if needed.

I'm guessing though that your main problem is that you haven't defined
any menu entries. Try a grub.cfg like:

menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
  linux (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=/dev/sdb1
  initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}

But it's also better to use UUID's instead of static device names, so
this is better:

menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
  search --set=root --fs-uuid UUID_HERE
  linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=UUID_HERE
  initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)

Thanks for attention, i try to wrote in eanglish :)

the laptop has usb 1.1 so i put a pcmcia card for adding usb 2.0 well,
no driver is present at boot so the laptop can't use usb 2.0,
grub can't use external disk on bus usb 2.0 so i try to boot with a
flash drive of 1G on usb 1.1 and i have to explain to grub:
load kernel and initrd from flash and then at the kernel to use for root
directory the HD on usb 2.0

your code:
menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
  search --set=root --fs-uuid UUID_HERE
  linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=UUID_HERE
  initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}

tell that at the kernel?
Roberto.