Re: Grub 2 and PCI serial adapters

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Grub 2 and PCI serial adapters
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:52:57 -0700

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Jan Krocker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm currently planing to migrate a PXE environment from grub 0.97 to
> grub 1.99. In my current setup, i have several machines, using PCI or
> PCIe cards to provide a serial I/O. Those Ports are recognised as Com 0
> or Com 1 by grub 0.97. Grub 1.99 doesn't recognise all of the cards we
> are using. Especially non of the PCIe cards is working.

What do you mean "doesn't recognize"? How are you trying to configure
serial output and what happens when you do this?

> How does the recognition work? Where is this part documented? Do you
> have a list of known good devices?

I assume that (when not using native grub drivers) it's up to the BIOS
to detect and enumerate serial devices. Documentation for using a
serial terminal from grub is available here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Serial-terminal
you'll probably also want to look at GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT,
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT, and GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND in
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration
.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)