Re: Halt Does Not Work on Dell XPS 8300, but _does_ Work in QEMU

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Halt Does Not Work on Dell XPS 8300, but _does_ Work in QEMU
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 23:16:54 -0700

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Jake Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
> So I am asking a Grub expert if that error is spit out only because it's a
> debugging compilation of Grub, and the bugs are the same, or if they really
> are different.
>

> Note: if #35550 _is_ describing "my" bug, then it needs to be re-opened.
>

> Cheers,
> Jake

Grub's code will always try to execute "grub_puts_ (N_("ACPI shutdown
failed"));" after attempting to shut down the computer via ACPI. This
is a fun thing to think about because it's one of the few cases where
you don't need to actively check that anything went wrong before
printing an error. From a naive reading of the code it would appear
that the function grub_acpi_halt always prints this error, but in
practice it almost never does as this code comes after the ACPI
shutdown. If any grub code is running after trying to shut down the
hardware, obviously shutdown failed :).

Since you're not seeing this being printed, that means that grub is no
longer executing even though a full shutdown of the hardware clearly
hasn't happened. Therefore this is a different bug.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)