Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: UEFI error: cannot allocate real mode pages
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 01:21:25 -0700

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Richard Chan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> Testing latest bzr GRUB on Dell R510 UEFI firmware.
> When I try to use GRUB to load the kernel I get:
>
> grub> linux (hd0,2)/vmlinuz-2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64
> root=/dev/mapper/VG01-LV01
> error: cannot allocate real mode pages.
>

> GRUB was built with:
> ./configure --with-platform=efi --disable-werror
>
> The EFI image was built with:
>
> grub-mkstandalone -O x86-64_efi -o BOOTX64.EFIĀ  -C xz --modules="normal boot
> linux fat ext2 part_gpt lvm chain efi_gop"

grub-mkstandalone always includes all modules in the image, adding a
--modules argument to grub-mkstandalone should never be needed. All
that will do is preload those modules, which in addition to being
unnecessary can sometimes cause problems. I would remove the --modules
argument entirely (it shouldn't generally be used with grub-install
either). Additionally, you might want to look into using grub-install
with the "--removable" argument which will install grub in such a way
that the drive can be removed and used in another [U]EFI machine
without modifying EFI variables (and in addition, it doesn't modify
EFI variables on the system on which it is run, and does not require
any EFI services).

All that said, what you're doing should still work. Since it doesn't,
please file a bug report at https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=grub
.

By the way, I did not Cc address@hidden since I wasn't sure
if they / you wanted to be Ccd in this discussion. If you'd like to
forward it to them or if you'd like me to keep them Ccd on further
replies that's fine with me.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)