Re: Message from grub2-install

From: Stefan Misch
Subject: Re: Message from grub2-install
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 20:56:57 +0100

Hi Michael,

I have to admit, I'm not very proficient at grub. I just answered your first mail this morning because the 2048 rang the "Advanced Sector Format" bell in my head.

Anyway, I did some digging and this is what I found: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/BIOS-installation.html#BIOS-installation

So in fact, the MBR stays at 512 Bytes because that's the standard for a traditional partitioning system. That is where the actual boot loader is. But the core.img-file is indeed placed between the boot loader and the first partition. Usually operatings systems begin at Sector 63 leaving roughly 31k of space available. With the new drives this gets pushed back even further to 2048.

What is the output of "sudo fdisk -ul /dev/sda" on the machine where you're having these troubles?

Regards,
Stefan