Re: grub work on a logical partition

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: grub work on a logical partition
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:32:26 +0530

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Oliver Rath <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Rusi,
>
> maybe you need to say grub, which root-directory (where the grub-files
> reside) he has to use.
>
> The scenario:
>
> 1. You put grub-mbr on /dev/sda (this is what you want?)
> 2. grub takes his stage1,5-bootfiles from (!) /dev/sdb.. (where the
> /boot/grub resides), so grub-mbr point to the another disk.
> 3. Taking the 500G-Disk away, bios finds stage1-grub (mbr), but not the
> next stage, because it is on the missing 500G-device.
>
> Could this be the reason for your problem?

Hi Oliver

I ran boot_info_script. Its results (relevant parts) are as follows:

=========== Boot Info Summary: ==========

 => Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
    partition #5 for (,msdos5)/grub.
 => Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks on the same drive in
    partition #2 for /grub.

So grub seems to be in sda as well as sdb but the (,msdos5) is strange...

sda5: _________________________________________________

    File system:       ext4
    Boot sector type:  Grub 2
    Boot sector info:  Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda5 and
                       looks at sector 84018242 of the same hard drive for
                       core.img, core.img is at this location on /dev/sda and
                       looks on partition #5 for (,msdos5)/grub.
    Operating System:
    Boot files/dirs:   /grub/menu.lst /grub/grub.cfg /grub/core.img

    File system:       ext2
    Boot sector type:  -
    Boot sector info:
    Operating System:
    Boot files/dirs:   /grub/grub.cfg /grub/core.img