Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7

From: Joel Roth
Subject: Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 07:31:39 -1000

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 04:52:54PM +0000, Sebastian Tennant wrote:
> Quoth Piscium <address@hidden>:
> > What version of Windows do you have?
>
> Windows 7.
>
> > I remember reading a while back that resizing Windows Vista partitions with
> > Gparted can make it unbootable (XP should be fine though). Not sure if that
> > is still the case, or what is the deal for Windows 7.
>
> Funny, I just read something similar.  As a result I thought I'd try resizing
> using Windows' own disk tool and this is what it tells me:
>
>  "You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are
>   located."
>
>        Total size before shrink: 431938 MB
>  Size of available shrink space: 201358 MB
>         Total size after shrink: 230580 MB
>
> Can you believe it!

The Minitool Partition Wizard live CD can move "unmovable files"
and handles other details to be able to shrink a Windows
partition. It's free, very slick, and Linux under the hood.

I did this for Windows 7 (on a recent Thinkpad) It is
occasionally convenient to be able to verify that hardware
works under windows.

I'm not sure if you need to, but I turned off Windows paging
before the shrink.