Re: managing a multiboot without stomping the toes of other OSes

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: managing a multiboot without stomping the toes of other OSes
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:28:41 +0530

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:

As for how you should set up your dedicated GRUB partition's grub.cfg
so that it can boot any of your installed distributions, the simplest
way is to use grub's "configfile" command. For example "search --set
--fs-uuid UUID_HERE; configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg" will load that
distribution's grub menu, without chainloading. If for some reason you
feel the need to actually load the other distribution's GRUB, rather
than just its grub.cfg, you can do so (without unreliable blocklists)
by using multiboot to load GRUB's core.img from the filesystem rather
than chainloading a partition boot sector, for example "search --set
--fs-uuid UUID_HERE; multiboot /boot/grub/core.img"

This is useful. I will try it and get back. (The laptop in question is not with me right now)

To keep Debian from overwriting the mbr (and thus your dedicated GRUB
installation) on upgrades of the grub-pc package, run
"dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" and uncheck sda from the list of install
devices.

Yeah sure -- when I do the reconfigure myself I know what to check and uncheck.
The problem is that this can get fired during an upgrade which might be dealing with a hundred other packages, and a careless click here or there and my boot is screwed.

> 3. Please dont 'detect' other OSes

Add "GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true" to /etc/default/grub

Ok