grub2 - chainloader - linux on usb - bios does not see usb.

From: Pawel Karpowicz
Subject: grub2 - chainloader - linux on usb - bios does not see usb.
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 08:39:27 +0100

Hallo Group Members

My linux system resides on usb flash drive.
My goal is to run it on several machines without their knowledge (ie. grub2 installed in their hard drives' boot sector).
To do this I have grub boot cd prepared, which contains:
- grub of course.
- vmlinuz/bzimage,....

Every time I want to run linux from another machine I set bios to search system on CD first. then boot the system.
Such solution has one drawback:
everytime when linux upgrade process changes kernel, I need to prepare new boot CD, so that to contain new bmlinuz/bzimage files.

It seems that the way to overwrite this limitation is to create boot CD with only one entry required. Something like that:
      menuentry "Grub 1 Bootloader" {
        set root=(hd2,1)
        chainloader +1
       }

Unfortunatelly it does not work.

What do I do wrong?
Some debugging:
at grub boot prompt:
grub> ls
(hd0), (hd0,1), (hd0,2)

it does not see hd1, hd2, which are usb drives.
Following does not help
grub> insmod usb

have You got an idea how to solve this problem?

best regards,
Paul