Re: Still issues with Grub2 and (k)FreeBSD

From: Hannes Hauswedell
Subject: Re: Still issues with Grub2 and (k)FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:17:19 +0100

On Monday 29 November 2010 23:09:15 Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> since my last PR <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31331> (still offline
> right now), I still couldn't make Grub2 boot FreeBSD. The issue from
> the PR was resolved the way explained in the post, thanks.
>
> Since I am not sure this is a bug, I thought I'd ask first before
> opening one.
>
> Is it possible that Grub2 does not pass Networking Information to the
> FreeBSD-Kernel, i.e. the information it has received via DHCP / PXE ?
>
> I am booting Grub2 through PXE/TFTP and it successfully loads and and
> also boots the FreeBSD-Kernel, however the FreeBSD-Kernel always
> fails to mount root from NFS. I have tried all sort of fiddling with
> the FreeBSD Kernel and am pretty sure its not its fault.
>
> The FreeBSD-Kernel can be compiled with BOOTP_NFSROOT, to make it re-
> request root-path and server for this case, however going that way is
> not an option, because I cannot transmit root-path (Option 17 in
> dnsmasq), if I want to offer multiple Operating systems as choice.
> Note also that the dnsmasq-server and NFS-Server are on two
> machines.
>
> Thank you very much for your help,

Hi again,

I don't know if there were answers yet, I am not subscribed. Please CC
me.

On a different note, I tried to boot Debian_SID from the Server, which
also fails with completely different issues. It doesn't even load the
kernel it just hangs. On the tftp-Server I see the stuff attached.

I did a lot of googling on that, but didn't really find an answer. It
ranges from "not an error, don't worry"[1], to "its fatal and the
network hardware's fault or PXEGrub can't andel Gbit-Cards"[2].

Obivously the first isn't true, since it doesn't work. Obviously the
second isn't true, since it can load the freebsd-kernel and modules
without issues.

Thanks for your help,
--
Best Regards,            │ Free Software Foundation Europe    █▉   │

[1] http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-
discuss/2007q1/001184.html
[2] http://www.gentooforum.de/artikel/15029/booten-mit-pxegrub-klappt-
nicht.html