Re: EFI boot on non Mac hardware.

From: KESHAV P.R.
Subject: Re: EFI boot on non Mac hardware.
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:44:46 +0530

I use grub2.efi to boot Archlinux x86_64 in my Dell Studio 1537 laptop
using tianocore.sourceforge.net EDK UEFI64 (UEFI 2.1 x86_64) firmware.

I include the following modules (actually all of them may not be required) :-

ata part_gpt part_msdos fat ntfs ntfscomp ext2 iso9660 udf hfsplus
fshelp reboot normal chain linux xnu xnu_uuid ls search search_fs_file
search_fs_uuid search_label help loopback cat tar boot configfile cpio
sh echo loadbios efi_gop multiboot multiboot2 relocator

I think some of the basic modules required for a working grub.efi in
normal mode are :-

ata part_gpt part_msdos fat ntfs ext2 iso9660 udf hfsplus fshelp
reboot normal chain linux ls search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid
search_label help loopback boot configfile sh

Generating grub.efi (after GRUB2 bzr revision 2372)

./grub-mkimage -d . -o <EFI SYSTEM
PARTITION>/EFI/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER>/grub.efi -O x86_64-efi -p
/efi/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER> <YOUR_GRUB2_MODULES>

If you have any problem, try grub2_efi.sh script to compile and
install grub2 for uefi - http://gist.github.com/410877.

For grub2-BIOS use grub2_bios.sh -  http://gist.github.com/418438 .

Regards