Re: EFI boot on non Mac hardware.

From: Cedric Lejeune
Subject: Re: EFI boot on non Mac hardware.
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 18:48:36 +0200

Hello Matthew,

Thanks for your answer.

> Almost all motherboards are EFI but it is not enabled, you could
> verify if it is enabled by trying to install a retail copy of mac os
> x.
I do not own any copy of OS X. I only own a license for Windows 7. And obviously, there is Linux.

> Windows 7 has boot code for both efi and non efi boards this makes
> installing into os x boot camp easier.
I really think Windows 7 is booting using EFI since I succeed in starting it using \efi\Boot\bootx64.efi and \efi\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi, both from EFI shell and from newly added entries in my boot menu.

> You may also be able to speak with your manufacturer to see if there
> is a jumper on the motherboard that can enable efi.
There is a BIOS option to enable UEFI boot that I have activated.

> Installing os x might not work as the os is now processor locked.
This is not an issue since I do not want to use OS X. Currently, I only want a working dual boot Windows 7 / Linux.

Thanks for your help,

cedric.

On 6/1/2010 5:09 PM, Matthew Ratzke wrote:
Almost all motherboards are EFI but it is not enabled, you could verify
if it is enabled by trying to install a retail copy of mac os x. Windows
7 has boot code for both efi and non efi boards this makes installing
into os x boot camp easier. You may also be able to speak with your
manufacturer to see if there is a jumper on the motherboard that can
enable efi. Installing os x might not work as the os is now processor
locked.

Matthew Ratzke

On 2010-06-01, at 7:45 AM, Cedric Lejeune
<address@hidden> wrote:

Hello list,

I have bought a EFI capable notebook (ASUS G73GH, x86_64, MegaTrend
BIOS) and I am trying to fully boot Linux (Debian) using EFI. I first
partitioned my disk using GPT and allocated some space to the ESP.
Then I installed Debian package grub-efi-amd64, used grub-install and
grub-mkconfig to generate grub.efi and grub.cfg config file and check
everything was on the ESP, including *.mod, *.lst and the like. I
added a new entry in my boot menu pointing to grub.efi, saved changes
and choose the newly added entry. The screen resolution changed and a
prompt appeared at the top left corner of the screen and tada! Epic
fail... Blank screen. So I tried using grub-efi-ia32, same result.
Next, I tried with grub-1.98 sources using grub wiki and
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2010/03/grub2-efi-support.html as references
and once again, blank screen.

So I give a try using Windows 7: EFI boot install DVD, wipe GPT from
the install disk and let Windows 7 installer manage everything. At the
end of the installation, a new boot entry was added to my boot menu
and I could fully boot Windows 7 using it. So, I guess that means my
notebook is really EFI capacble, right?

I then tried to install and use Shell_Full.efi from EDK, added a new
entry to my boot menu and everything worked fine. I have tried rEFIt
too and it kinda worked (it complain about vollabel?). But at least, I
was seeing something one my screen. Manually added entry to boot
Windows 7 worked too.

So here come the questions:
1. Is there some way to precisely know which modules I have to include
when I generate grub.efi?
2. Is there a way to make grub more verbose? Or a debug mode?
Something that would let me know at which step the boot sequence is?
Or a way to use EFI shell to run grub in verbose mode? To sum up, I
would like some log to track down what is wrong with my current setup.
3. How could I check the problem is not due to my BIOS?

I have already took a look at the mailing list, but a lot of (all?)
EFI issues are Mac related (no 'bless' command on Linux for instance).

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

cedric.
<cedric_lejeune.vcf>