Re: legacy grub missed partition

From: Jan Stefan
Subject: Re: legacy grub missed partition
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:42:30 -0600

On 2010/03/07 00:09 (GMT-0600) Jan Stefan composed:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:49:18 -0500   Felix Miata wrote:

> My memory could be wrong on this, but I think this error message results from

> an attempt to read from a >128 byte Inode formatted EXT3 partition with an

> older Grub version that only understands 128 byte Inode formatting. If so,

> reinstalling a newer and understanding legacy Grub version will fix it.

> --

> "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious

> people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

> other."                      John Adams, 2nd US President

THANKS!

The Inode size was the problem. The first small partition defaulted to a 128 byte Inode and worked with grub. The larger partition defaulted to 256 bytes and grub did not see it.

I chose to change the Inode size with the mkfs.ext3 command rather than update grub.

Jan