extra space after } results in no menu item - bug?

From: Patrik Lahti
Subject: extra space after } results in no menu item - bug?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:50:56 -0500

Hi,

I had accidentally put an extra space (" " ASCII 0x20) after the end curly brace ("}" ASCII 0x7d) of a menuentry statement in my 40_custom script and this resulted in the menu entry not showing up in the grub2 menu the next time I booted (I did update-grub of course). Menu entries in subsequent scripts (e.g. 50_example) was shown in the menu. And manually booting using the grub2 command line using the exact commands in the missing menuentry worked fine. This was on a recently installed and up to date Ubuntu 9.10.

It would be preferable if it didn't matter that there was an extra space there. Imagine the head scratching before figuring it out :-) If it's a syntax error to have a space after } then it would be nice if it complained (preferably in update-grub) instead of simply not showing the menu item.

Is this a known problem/limitation?

PS. I'm not subscribed so please cc me on any responses, thanks.

Regards and thanks in advance,
/P