Question regarding --root-device and --prefix parameters

From: Πρεκατές Αλέξανδρο ς
Subject: Question regarding --root-device and --prefix parameters
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:09:48 +0200

Hi from greece.

I'm troubled about the semantics of the --root-device parameter in grup-setup and --prefix in grub-mkimage. For time being i have the impression that they both are related with what files/dirs core.img will have access to, so the latter could override the first.

thanks.

ps:The context of my question is trying to set up a dedicated grub2 partition , and having troubles making installed grub (i used grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/grub2 /dev/hda )
find the grub.cfg i had in grub2 partition /dev/hda2.