Re: GRUB fails when kernel is LZMA/BZIP2-compressed

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: GRUB fails when kernel is LZMA/BZIP2-compressed
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:28:20 -0700

The issue isn't grub.  Grub doesn't worry about decompressing the kernel image.  Grub just puts the kernel and initrd in memory, along with some hardware info tables the bios had provided grub, and tells the kernel to start executing it's init.

It's at that point when Linux will unpack and uncompress it's self and possibly an initrd.

Chances are good you have some issue with your boot floppy and/or grub's configuration.

To start off with, I don't believe any recent kernel + initrd is likely to fit within 1440KB.

You should probable take advantage of grub's filesystem support (hit escape while in the grub menu to get a console) and 'find ' a marker file you create in whatever filesystem contains your kernel+initrd.  Please consult the grub manual for details, but...

If you have a /boot filesystem and touch a file in /boot/marker (when /boot is mounted) then you would try to "find /marker" .