After installing GRUB2, I can no longer boot into my other partition

From: komputes
Subject: After installing GRUB2, I can no longer boot into my other partition
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 20:17:25 -0400

Hello fellow GRUB users,

First time posting on this list. Hopefully someone will be able to help
me. After installing GRUB2/Ubuntu 9.10 on a LUKS encrypted partition
(using the alternate CD), I can no longer boot into my other partition.

I have a computer with one drive and multiple partitions. To simplify
the drive layout it I have included the following attempt at a
diagram/explanation:

==
/dev/sda1 [ /boot ]
/dev/sda2 [ Extended container START
-- /dev/sda8 [ / - Ubuntu 9.04]
-- /dev/sda9  [ blank ]
-- /dev/sda10 [ swap ]
/dev/sda2   Extended container STOP]
==

As you can see, I have a separate /boot partition which holds GRUB and
the various kernel images (initrd/vmlinuz). As long as I was using GRUB
0.97-29, I did not have any problems.

Now this is what I did to mess it up:

1) I booted from the Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha alternate (text-install) CD

2) Using the debian system installer, I set up /dev/sda9 to be
LVM-over-encrypted_volume. This device will be mounted to /

3) Using the debian system installer, I set up /dev/sda10 to be
LVM-over-encrypted_volume. This device will be used as encrypted swap

4) I selected the existing /dev/sda1 ( /boot ) to be mounted as /boot.

5) Once the devices set up, the installer started by installing GRUB. It
detected that a legacy GRUB was on /dev/sda1 and asked me if I wanted to
write over it with GRUB2 (1.96). A dialog with an empty line (which
should have a command in it) showed up. The dialog presented the
following message:

==
[!] Configuring grub-pc
The following linux command line was extracted from the kopt parameter
in GRUB Legacy's menu.lst. Please verify that is is correct and modify
it if necessary.

[                                                  ]
<Go Back>         <Continue>
==

Afterwards, the installation went through, and I was able to reboot into
my new Ubuntu 9.10 alpha installation. The problem happened when I
rebooted and attempted to go into my old 9.04 installation on /dev/sda1.
It seems that when GRUB2 generated grub.cfg from the legacy menu.lst, it
did not copy UUID information properly into the new syntax. The GRUB
legacy script assumes that because I set up a LVM, that now all devices
are on the LVM managed, when I don't think that they are.

The layout after the Ubuntu 9.10 alpha installation looks like this:

==
/dev/sda1 [ /boot ]
/dev/sda2 [ Extended container START
-- /dev/sda8 [ / - Ubuntu 9.04]
-- /dev/sda9  [ crypt-luks ]
--- /dev/mapper/cryptdisk-karmic
-- /dev/sda10 [ crypt-luks ]
--- /dev/mapper/sda9_crypt
/dev/sda2   Extended container STOP]
==

I cannot boot into Ubuntu 9.04 which is the problem I would like to
resolve. When I select a kernel from Ubuntu 9.04, I just get a blinking
underscore in the top left corner. Here is a line from the backed up
legacy menu.lst followed by that same line in the new grub.cfg after
being imported:

menu.lst
==
title           Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
uuid            1768a7ec-e0ce-8fa4-814b-2e628de7c2b2
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic
root=UUID=e1b20064-8204-4150-be5e-83bd537defc8 ro quiet splash vga=773
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic
quiet
==

grub.cfg
==
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.28-13-generic" {
        set root=(hd0,1)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1768a7ec-e0ce-8fa4-814b-2e628de7c2b2
        linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic root=/dev/mapper/cryptdisk-karmic ro
 quiet splash
        initrd  /initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic
}
==

Any help would be appreciated. I hope that I have provide enough
information to diagnose the issue.

Thanks,

-komputes