Random recognition of USB drives

From: Leslie Katz
Subject: Random recognition of USB drives
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 22:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

I created a Fedora 9 live USB flash drive. I've tested it and it works
correctly in a new computer.

I want to use it in a computer which cannot boot directly from a USB flash
drive.

I created a GRUB boot floppy. (I should add, if it matters, that I did it with
GRUB v 0.94, not aware then that there was a later version.)

The relevant computer has two internal hard disks and one external USB hard
disk. When I want to try the live USB flash drive, I plug it into a USB port on
the computer and reboot.

Sometimes after I power up, the geometry command in grub tells me I have 4 hds
and I can boot the flash drive with no problem. Sometimes, however, it tells me
I only have 2 hds, the two internal hard disks.

I haven't been able to figure out why GRUB sometimes tells me I have only 2 hds.

Also, from my reading of the GRUB manual, I haven't been able to figure out a
way to ensure I get 4 hds showing every time.

Is there some trick I can use to ensure that?

Thanks for reading this,

Leslie

Visit http://stumblng.tumblr.com
An Australian lawyer's tumblelog of things (some about law, most not) that you
might otherwise have missed

www.yahoo7.com.au/mail