Re: chain loading USB harddrive if no native USB support possible?

From: Michael Reichenbach
Subject: Re: chain loading USB harddrive if no native USB support possible?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:46:44 +0200

> Answer what question?

This here...

Gregg Levine wrote:
I haven't tested, but if you label the USB device with a unique name,
then a script like this should work:
 search -f MyUsbLabel
 linux      /boot/vmlinuz root=LABEL=MyUsbLabel ro
 initrd     /boot/initrd.img
This means it`s only possible to boot linux that way? Chan loading
another bootloader directly isn`t possible?
I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

But as for booting from a USB device, got me. That one works from a
floppy if native boot support doesn't exist.

I don`t see what runt has to do with it. It`s basically a slackware based distro for usb pendrives.

My question here was how to (generic) boot an usb device if the bios does not support booting from usb. :)