gcc 4.9.2 installation Mac OS X 10.7.5

From: jomarbueyes
Subject: gcc 4.9.2 installation Mac OS X 10.7.5
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 11:08:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I'm not sure this is the right forum for these questions. It it is not, could
someone point me to the right forum?

I'm trying to install the GNU compiler collection version 4.9.2(gcc-4.9.2) on
an Intel Mac running 10.7.5 (Lion). I would like to first install not in the
usual /usr/bin/... hierarchy. I've been reading the configuration instructions
in https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html but there are a few optional
directories that I don't fully understand. These are:

    --with-local-prefix
    --with-native-system-header
    --with-gnu-as
    --with-as
    --with-gnu-ld
    --with-ld
    --with-libiconv-prefix

The description under --with-local-prefix reads:

"Specify the installation directory for local include files. The default is
/usr/local. Specify this option if you want the compiler to search directory
dirname/include for locally installed header files instead of
/usr/local/include."

The description for other directories in the list above is similar.

What is not clear to me is whether after installation the new compiler will
search this directory or the compiler that is compiling the new gcc will look
for files there to build the updated compilers.

As I mentioned above, if this is not the right forum for this question, could
someone point me to a better suited forum?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Jomar
(cross-posted to gnu.gcc and gnu.gcc.help)