long linking time

From: kkivi
Subject: long linking time
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 03:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All

We have a project on Linux that currently contains  about 800 object
files. If we link all of them as individual files
it takes about an hour. Putting them in several static libraries and
linking after doesn't change anything.
However, if we build several dynamic libraries (15 ) and then link it
takes only 2-3 minutes. Startup time doesn't change noticably.

What is the reason for such behaviour and  is there any way to improve
linking time without dinamic libraries?

Best regards, Konstantin