Assigning values to namespace members

From: Peter Oberberg
Subject: Assigning values to namespace members
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:35:02 +0100

Hello all!

Maybe I did not understand something fundamental about namespaces,
because I cannot make out the following behaviour.

Please consider the following code snippet (it is a simplified version
of what I want to do, in order to reproduce the error, actually the
namespace declaration is in a separate header file).

// ==================================================
// Begin C++ code, file TTest.cc

namespace TTest
{
  int value;
};

TTest::value = 1;

// End C++ code

When compiling this file with

$ g++ -c TTest.cc

I receive the error message

"TTest.cc:9: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type \
conversion before ‘=’ token"

So where am I wrong in thinking, that TTest::value is an entity, I can
assign values to outside the namespace?

Thank you in advance for explanations!

Peter