Re: g++ and library optimisations

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: g++ and library optimisations
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:21:07 -0700

pemo <peet.morris@gmail.com> writes:

> Could you clarify it's neither a .h/.cpp?

The file is called 'vector' (there is no .h or .cpp extention).
It contains something like this:

    #ifndef _GLIBCXX_VECTOR
    #define _GLIBCXX_VECTOR 1

    #pragma GCC system_header

    #include <bits/functexcept.h>
    #include <bits/stl_algobase.h>
    #include <bits/allocator.h>
    #include <bits/stl_construct.h>
    #include <bits/stl_uninitialized.h>
    #include <bits/stl_vector.h>
    #include <bits/stl_bvector.h>

    #ifndef _GLIBCXX_EXPORT_TEMPLATE
    # include <bits/vector.tcc>
    #endif

    #ifdef _GLIBCXX_DEBUG
    # include <debug/vector>
    #endif

    #endif /* _GLIBCXX_VECTOR */

The majority of vector implementation "lives" in vector.tcc.

> The source code behind the
> vector template has to be compiled, and thus found.  Intuitively, I
> would expect this be be in some include path, i.e., as vector is
> included in her source, the template boiler plate has also to be
> 'included' somehow.

It is included, just not from 'vector.h'.

>> You seem to be lacking the necessary skills to help her with
>> profiling. As I said, it may require a bit of wizardry.
>
> Yes I am - used to selecting a simple checkbox to say I'd like to
> profile some code, and being shown VTune output [I have the Intel
> compiler for Windows [not that VTune requires that of course]].

You do realize that there is a VTune for Linux?

It may provide significantly better results then gprof, and you
are familiar with it, so you may have an easier time overall.

>> Suggestion: compile a simple application (main with a couple of
> Ok, but can you say whether after doing this [away from her machine at
> the mo] whether gprof requires some explicit input, e.g. gprof a.out?

Yes -- it requires you to supply image name (unless that image is
called 'a.out') and the profile output (unless it's called 'gmon.out').

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.