Re: Link to static library from DSO without exporting symbols?

From: Boris
Subject: Re: Link to static library from DSO without exporting symbols?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:27:15 +0300

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> "Boris" <boris@gtemail.net> writes:
>
>> If I know these other objects are
>> linked in only because they are required and not because the user
>> insists to include the whole archive why should their symbols be
>> exported?
>
> [This topic has strayed too far from g++.
> Perhaps you should take it to *advocacy* group.]

Which group do you mean? I see only four g++ groups on my newsserver with
two about bugs and one for announcements.

> You know that you don't want these symbols to be exported, but the
> linker can't "read your mind", and doesn't.

I tried to explain that the linker can know as it simply needs to check
for --whole-archive being present or not. If I don't use --whole-archive it
obviously means I only want code to be linked in *my* object files require.
If the code is only required by *my* object files why are the symbols then
exported?

Boris