what's the differnece between gcc and g++?

From: yuyang08
Subject: what's the differnece between gcc and g++?
Date: 25 Aug 2006 22:40:40 -0700

Hello, everyone,

The difference between gcc and g++ puzzles me. Here "gcc" referes to
the
"gcc" command , not the GNU Compiler Collection.

According to my study, "gcc" invoks  cc1plus under /usr/libexec/gcc/ ,
and "g++" invokes cc1plus under /usr/libexec/gcc/.  As C is a subset of
C++, why we cannot use g++ alone to compile all C/C++ programs.
Why we still need a "gcc" sitting aside?

Can anyone explain briefly to me? Thanks!

-Andy