Re: virtual method inheritance question

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: virtual method inheritance question
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:00:31 -0700

"jinxidoru" <jinxidoru@byu.net> writes:

> Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
>>
>> There is a more fundamental reason why it would not work:
>>
> Please just stick to the actual question.

Oh, I am terribly sorry. I didn't realize I am not allowed to speak
without your permission.

> I already have my class
> handling signals just fine.  I have a workaround for the above issue.

In that case, your statement of the problem is a lie:
you are not doing this:

  For those methods, my parent class will declare that method as
  the signal handler.

but instead are doing something else.

If you are doing what I think you are, then it is trivial to modify
your scheme to call overridden virtual methods without the need
to first figure out which methods are overridden.

To answer your 'actual question':
- there is no portable way to take address of a virtual function, and
- even for non-virtual functions, comparing their addresses is
  non portable: on some platforms (e.g. IA64) 2 function pointers
  may compare unequal, yet both may point to the same function.

>> What's so cool about it? Sounds pretty lame to me.
>>
> Go to *#&@.  If you have nothing useful to say, please control yourself
> and don't respond at all.  It's a lot easier than allowing everyone on
> the internet to see how big of a jerk you are.

Hmm, I am not sure what provoked your reaction above, but it
certainly qualifies *you* as a jerk in my book.

I think I'll just ignore you from now on.
Good luck. Plonk!
Remove /-nsp/ for email.