backward compatibility of gcc 3.3<- 4.x ?

From: Amit Bhatia
Subject: backward compatibility of gcc 3.3<- 4.x ?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:43:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
 I am using os X 10.3.9 with xcode 1.5 and gcc 3.3. I believe this
version of gcc/g++ is pretty old now and am thinking of updating to gcc 4.0
or later. However I don't want to reinstall all the packages that I
installed using fink and darwinports and some more, by compiling the source
code. Is it expected that all the compiled libraries will continue to
function and link smoothly if I make this upgrade? Or will I have to recompile
each and every library that I have installed before?
thanks,
--a.