Re: gdb fails to see symbol

From: David Cogen
Subject: Re: gdb fails to see symbol
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:33:17 -0400

Maurizio Loreti wrote:

Ulrich Lauther <ulrich.lauther@siemens.com> writes:

Is this a common problem?

no

When I used g++ I used to see that all the time. Never did figure out what was wrong, and most people I asked said what you heard: "it doesn't happen to me". It was unpredictable. I believe I used to resort to copying variables I wanted to debug into globals, etc. Not pleasant.

It would only happen with variables in nested scope; never a variable at function scope.

I believe (not entirely positive; was a while ago) that I finally realized that only later versions of g++ exhibited this bug, and I went back to 2.95.2 and stayed there. 2.95.2 was 3 times faster than the later versions; an added bonus.