Re: g++ 3.2.3 and g++ 3.4 incompatiblities

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: g++ 3.2.3 and g++ 3.4 incompatiblities
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:22:03 +0200

At 8 Jun 2006 07:28:29 -0700 nprashanth@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a library built using g++ 3.2.3 and our client has his
> application built with g++ 3.4. As g++ 3.4 picks up different set of
> standard libraries which seems to be incompatible with g++ 3.2.3's set
> of libraries, the client's application is crashing. The client does not
> have the libraries which are compatible with g++ 3.2.3, and is not
> willing to install them either. So, is there any way we can get g++ 3.4
> to behave as g++ 3.2.3?

Probably not.  You'll have to either:

A) provide the client with source code so the client can re-compile your
library with the client's installed toolchain & libraries,

OR

B) install the same toolchain & libraries as the client on a build host
and build a version of your library that is compatible with the client's
environment.

Getting C++ code to be *binary* comparible across major revisions is
generally not possible.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration